We all have things that we prefer over something else. For example, you may like chocolate, but your favorite is vanilla. I really like UT sports, but I’m a die hard Atlanta Braves fan. You may like summer, but perhaps your favorite season of the year is fall. This even carries over to people and relationships. Regardless of how hard we try, there are some people we more easily connect with than others. All of that to say, we are naturally inclined to like somethings (or people) better than we like others. Since we are aware of this happening in our lives, it can be easy for us to assume God plays favorites as well. Thankfully, God doesn’t play favorites, but He does have a purpose and plan for us, so let’s look at a few examples of what God’s Word says about His perspective toward us.
He has chosen to reveal His existence to all people.
- He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. ~Matthew 5:45
- For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. ~Romans 1:20
He decided a long time ago to love us even though we rebelled against Him.
- We love because he first loved us. ~1 John 4:19
- But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ~Romans 5:8
- This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. ~1 Timothy 2:3-6
Perfection is not His goal, but He does expect us to become more and more like Jesus.
- For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. ~Romans 8:29,
- Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. ~1 John 2:6
- So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. ~Colossians 2:6-7
He has planned for us to accomplish good and great things for His glory.
- For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~Ephesians 2:8-10,
- Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. ~John 14:12
- Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. ~Ephesians 3:20
You may have those moments where you wonder if God cares about you or values you. You may occasionally start to believe the lie that God has no plans for your life. Let His Word remind you today that He doesn’t play favorites. Through a relationship with Jesus, we are adopted as sons and daughters by the Creator of the universe. You matter to Him, and don’t doubt that for a minute!